IMPROVED THIRD EDITION IS NOW PUBLISHED!
- adapted to the new 2018-2020 Work Programme
- new examples
- even more detailed step-by-step writing instructions
Printed, large format, 192 pages
WITH THIS KNOW-HOW YOU WILL BE ABLE TO
- quickly identify the potential of your innovation
- develop the right strategy for the proposal
- step-by-step lead the team that prepares the proposal
- focus on the important elements of the proposal
- recognize and avoid mistakes that could kill your proposal
- replicate the best practices used by winning SME Instrument proposals
- prepare a winning SME-2 proposal in accordance with evaluation criteria
- save enormous time otherwise spent on getting through 450+ pages of documentation available online
WHO WILL FIND THIS KNOW-HOW USEFUL
- experienced consultants that want to deepen their understanding of the SME Instrument
- consultation companies that want to save time and resources when transferring their SME-2 knowledge to their junior consultants
- innovative SMEs looking to learn how to pitch their business ideas from experience of the winning Horizon 2020 applicants
- first time applicants for the SME Instrument Phase 2
- applicants re-submitting their proposals to SME Instrument Phase 2
- all SME Instrument applicants interested in getting the insider knowledge on writing winning H2020 proposals
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
If you're not satisfied with the manual and you think that it does not provide value for money, simply return the book in its original condition within 7 days of receipt, and we'll credit your account for the full amount of the title less sending and handling fee.
WHAT IS THE MANUAL ABOUT
The Phase 2 of the Horizon 2020 SME instrument is a great tool for turning strong, innovative business ideas into winners on the market. Great innovation projects with sound and strategic business plans are awarded with 500.000 EUR to 2,500.000 EUR grant to further develop the business idea into a market-ready product, service or process.
However, only 14% of all of the applicants' proposals to SME Instrument calls do pass the threshold. Why is that? How is it possible, that as much as 86% of the proposals do not even meet the minumum quality threshold? An evaluation insight reveals that there is a similar writing pattern for both successful and unsuccessful H2020 SME Instrument proposals. Most of the winning proposals use similar writing approach, formation and tricks that allow them to be assessed fast and earn exceptional evaluation scores. On the other hand, most of the rejected SME Instrument proposals fail to deliver the right information, contain fatal mistakes or drop out essential but not obvious elements that are critical for success.
This manual contains the step-by-step guidance for writing a winning Horizon 2020 SME Phase 2 proposal, backed with examples of best practices and inside knowledge. Whether you have already applied to SME Instrument's Phase 2 or are applying to the next cut-offs, this manual will help you get the insiders' knowledge, learn the secrets from the winners and win the SME Instrument grant!
Why spend thousands of euros for external consultants, if you can get the expert know-how, experience and examples at a fraction of the cost?
CHAPTER 1: BASIC CHARACTERISTICS OF THE SME INSTRUMENT - PHASE 2
- What Is The H2020 SME Instrument?
- Whole Application Process Explained
- Information About The Funding
CHAPTER 2: UNDERSTANDING THE EVALUATION PROCESS
- Whole Evaluation Process Explained
- The Evaluators' Insight on the SME-2 Proposals
- The Evaluation Criteria
CHAPTER 3: BEFORE WRITING: GENERAL RULES FOR WRITING A WINNING PROPOSAL
- Where to Start
- The 8 Key Elements of the Most Winning Proposals
- The 7 Fatal Mistakes That Will Kill Your Proposal
CHAPTER 4: HOW TO BUILD A GREAT VISUAL APPEARANCE OF THE PROPOSAL
- Document Layout and Formatting
- Recommended Visuals
CHAPTER 5: HOW TO WRITE A COMPELLING EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- The Relevance of the Summary for the Evaluators
- How To Properly Formulate the Executive Summary
- Avoid Most Common Mistakes
CHAPTER 6: HOW TO WRITE AN EXCEPTIONAL "EXCELLENCE"
- 5 Important Things to Know Before Writing "Excellence"
- Recommended Structure of the Section
- How to Properly Formulate the Challenge and Solution
- How to Properly Explain the Approach
CHAPTER 7: HOW TO WRITE AN OUTSTANDING "IMPACT"
- 6 Important Things to Know Before Writing "Impact"
- How To Properly Write And Structure Impact
- How To Properly Explain Measures to Enter the Market
- How to Properly Outline the Business Model
- How To Properly Address the IPR
CHAPTER 8: QUALITY AND EFFICIENCY OF THE IMPLEMENTATION
- 5 Important Things to Know Before Writing Implementation
- How to Describe the Team
- How to Present the Work Plan
- How to Justify the Resources to be Committed
CHAPTER 9: HOW TO CREATE A REPRESENTATIVE SECTION 4
- 6 Important Things to Know Before Writing Section 4
- The Key Company Information That is Being Evaluated
- The Importance of Third Parties Involved in the Project
- Which Appendices Can Significantly Improve Your Chances
CHAPTER 10: WHEN IS IT OBLIGATORY TO FILL THE SECTION 5: ETHICS AND SECURITY
- When is it Necessary to Fill Ethics
- How to Properly Address the Ethics Issues
All chapters include:
- Checklist: Dos And Don'ts
- Recommended Visuals
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
An international team of EU funding experts with years of direct and hands-on experience share the secrets of writing winning H2020 SME Instrument proposals in this jargon-free and simple to use manual. Authors of the manual have years of experience in EU funding and have successfully consulted, cooperated and managed several EU funded projects. Their successful techniques have contributed to the realisation of more than 27.5 millions of euros in EU funded projects of innovative companies and development agencies. The manual is based on personal experience, experience of other winning and non winning proposals and insights from SME Instrument evaluators.
Borut Del Fabbro is an experienced project developer and evaluator and serves also as consultant to Venture Capital Funds. He has coordinated numerous successful EU funded proposals and participated in several EU funded projects. He is a tireless executive with a broad set of knowledge ranging from project appraisal and financing to leadership and marketing skills.
Rok Berovič is a project and business development manager with a proven expertise in project management, business planning and strategy, market research, and project planning and implementation. His skills and knowledge have contributed to realization of multiple H2020 and other EU funded proposals.
Dr. Benjamin Leskovec has years of experience in EU funding programmes. As an accomplished entrepreneur, he is known for his ability to recognize feasible project opportunities. He has thus contributed to development and preparation of several EU proposals that led to projects with meaningful outcomes for participants and European society in general.
Helena Suárez Lozano is a visual communication expert. She specializes in creating compelling and effective document designs that facilitate reading and conveying of ideas.
Anja Bartol has international experience and specializes in writing the Impact section of H2020 proposals. She contributed to the thoroughness of the section dedicated to impact.
WHY ARE WE OFFERING THIS?
A great Idea is not enough
An excellent project proposal is essential. In order to prepare one, most winners have relied on outsourced EU proposal experts. But good experts are expensive and have only limited time. This means that organisations, that already have funding, also have the best chances to succeed. But it should be exactly the opposite. The EU funds should support those projects that cannot be realized due to lack of or insufficient funding.
Fair opportunity for everyone
We decided to change this and give everybody a fair opportunity to get their project funded. This is how the H2020 Manuals were born. We decided to share our knowledge and know-how in this manual and make it accessible to larger public at just a fraction of the regular cost. In this way we can help more great ideas succeed and we give an opportunity to all those, who cannot afford a one-on-one consultancy.
Our experience shows that...
Most of the winning proposals use similar writing approach, formation and tricks that allow them to be assessed fast and earn exceptional evaluation scores. On the other hand, most of the rejected SME Instrument proposals fail to deliver the right information, contain fatal mistakes or drop out essential but not obvious elements that are critical for success.